Sunday, September 24, 2006

TOPIC: ABUSE

Abuse of any kind has lasting results. It takes a lot of effort to reverse the issues that can occur in what I call the "aftermath". In my opinion, it is "by His stripes we are healed"....true healing is found through a deeper walk with Christ, allowing Him to infiltrate every crevice of our minds and hearts.
This topic is a sensitive one for many people. It brings up old thoughts, old feelings, old hurts. Hurts that need to be healed by the Master's touch....we'll start with the following article I wrote....

RIVER ROCK OR GEM STONES?

Several years ago we took a vacation to the western region of North Carolina. Traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway was our main activity during those peaceful, relaxing days. Even our young children enjoyed the slow pace and quiet sounds of nature at its best.
Slowly meandering around mountains and deep valleys, we came upon the little mining community of Little Switzerland and we decided to stop and explore. The mines produced quartz and gemstones of all kinds, and we were able to tour one that was no longer in use.
At the mine entrance we could purchase buckets full of gemstone ore to sift through the flumes of water. We never knew what we’d end up with, sometimes the “mother load”, sometimes just little fragmented pieces! Some buckets were all one specific ore, others a mixed variety of gemstones.
Being new at this, we had to have help. We didn’t know what we were looking for! Some gemstones were obvious, like the topaz and amethyst. They looked just like they do in jewelry….purple or yellow, and very shiny like glass. Others we were told look like river rocks and we would be tempted to throw them aside because they weren’t as pretty. We soon learned what to look for and enjoyed our “treasure hunt”!
After several attempts, we had a wonderful assortment of gemstones to bring home…rubies, emeralds, lots of amethyst and sapphires. The sapphires looked like the river rock, as did the rubies. But, when looking closer at them, you could tell a distinct difference. The workers said you could place the sapphires on top of a flashlight and their true color would shine through the rock….and so it was! Sapphires come in many different colors.
They even had a rock cutter and jewelry maker there on the grounds. We decided to save that expense for another trip, and we now have all our precious gemstones in a jar on our mantle. When the time is right, we’ll turn them into some beautiful jewelry.
I couldn’t help but relate this to our own lives and the way God works. So many times we survivors tend to see ourselves as those “river rocks”, and not worth keeping. Bad things happened to us, and for some reason we personalize these events into thinking that we are now bad.
Even when we can’t see it ourselves, God sees the true value of who we are and what we are made of. He sees beyond the surface to the core where all that beautiful color is just hidden behind the scars of our abuse. He sees our potential. He sees us as gemstones.
And some glorious day He will make “beautiful jewelry” out of our rough rocks. He will cut away all the hurt and polish our lives with His love and grace. And then we will surely shine! We are a prized possession…His child. He is like that worker that went along behind us, picking up what we threw away. He will pick us up, even when we feel useless and unworthy of His grace.
And just like those sapphires on the flashlight we are nothing without God’s Light to shine upon our lives. It’s only when we are in His presence that we truly become those gemstones. His Light breaks through the barrier and shows us who and what we really are.
View your journey to freedom from abuse as a “treasure hunt”!
Day by day sift through the “ore” (issues from abuse) and discover more and more how God is creating a real “mother load” of joy and beauty in your life.
Don’t hold onto the thought that you are only a “river rock”…..take your hurts to the Creator and let Him show you just how beautiful you really are. He’s waiting to cut and polish that precious gemstone.
*The Bible speaks of gemstones in various ways. For example:
In the chapter of Exodus when God appeared to Moses commanding him to write the ten commandments it is said that the Lord appeared to be “standing on pavement made of sapphire, clear as the sky.” Exodus 24:10 NIV
And in the chapter of Ezekial when God appeared to him, calling him to go to the Isrealites it is written that Ezekial saw God “on a great throne made of sapphire.” Ezekial 1:26 NIV
God’s Word clearly indicates the Lord’s majesty! Allow Him to become your skilled “Jeweler” and take those rough “rocks” (hurts) to Him today.
Lucy
The following poem is for you....click on "comments" if you need prayer in regards to this topic.
*Also see more on this topic in my website www.allgloryishis.com under "Hope for Healing."
JUST REST

“Lord, I don’t understand these things
That have fallen upon my life.
They hurt, Lord, and I cannot forget
The impact of these times of strife.

I know You’ve been there with me
Through each and every event.
Your presence, Lord, is very strong
And Your love is so evident.

But I cannot seem to rise above
The pain that I feel inside,
Even though I seek Your grace
And Your ways, Lord, the feelings I hide.

I know You are an awesome God
Whose compassion is continuously displayed,
But I want to cry out, I don’t understand!
Where were You when I was hurt this way?”

And then I hear Your tender voice
Respond through the Spirit’s call.
“I was with you, My precious child,
Through the pain, through it all.

I saw the things that were done to you
And My heart broke with every tear.
My hand was upon your broken heart
At that moment, and year after year.

It was Me who picked you up
After each painful attack.
I held you close to comfort you
And gave you strength to come back.

I lifted you out of the pit of despair
And I’ll not leave you to fall again.
I am the Way, and the Truth
And I will conquer the sins of men!

I will give you what you need
To live a joyous life with Me.
Peace, strength, wisdom and grace
Are yours when you bow your knee.

Come to Me, and give to Me
The things that burden your soul.
Let Me carry the shame and guilt
That has had such a strong hold.

Let Me give you a lighter load
Full of joy and laughter to know.
Serve Me and you will understand
How we can use those painful blows.

I never waste a hurt of yours
And will use each and every one.
For together we will have victory
Through Jesus, My only Son!

So when you feel overwhelmed
And cannot seem to go on,
Just rest in Me and you will see
The fight has already been won.

Rest, and rest assured
That I will never leave you.
You are My child and are loved…
My grace is sufficient for all you’ll do.

Through My Word, through prayer
You’ll overcome the things that bind.
You will reach a place of freedom
Within My plan we’ll not look behind…

But we’ll look ahead and beyond
As you rest beneath Love’s shade.
What was, is and will be in Me
Will be beautifully and wondrously made.

Hope is when you rest at My feet
Knowing I can take these cares.
Drop them, and go in peace
And make certain to leave them there.

You may not fully understand yet
But have trust that I see all.
I see the end when you cannot
And I’ll hear each time you call.”
Lucy Cain

1 comment:

Lucy A. Cain, All Glory Is His Writing Ministry said...

Of course, by all means, please share! All Glory Is His! I will pray....I have a testimonial poem I wrote for a friend of mine that I will post on the blog as soon as my computer decides to work again! It is about this very issue...suicidal thinking, and how God reached down and touched her heart before she proceeded! Tell your friend God loves her and wants her to call out to HIM. He's just there waiting.....Lucy