Monday, October 29, 2007

How do I...?

Just in the past 24 hours I've had two people ask me how I got through the fear and anxiety over something they are currently experiencing. One was asking about the recent death of her mother. She asked me how I got through the death of mine 11 years ago. I simply said, "I prayed through it. It's hard. You miss her. I still miss my mom." She's buried in our local cemetary and I pass her headstone on my way here and there every day. I can see it from the road.
I am currently in the midst of marrying off two children just six weeks apart. That crazy busy time is something my mother would have had a hay day with! She would be so proud and so so happy for her grandchildren! My daughter will leave a long stemmed rose in the chair next to me (between me and my father) in memory of "B." She would have loved to be part of this happy time for both of my kids.
Events will come up for my friend that will trigger sadness over her loss. But, I told her, don't let the sadness rule you. You will eventually find your joy again and live life to the full...as your mother would want you to! My mother was a Christian woman, as I believe my friend's mother to be. There is peace in knowing they are with the Savior today! They are happy, free of worry and sadness, free of whatever ailed them here in this earthly body of theirs. So pray, friend, pray. The Father waits to comfort you in this time of grief....and He will do just that. I have no doubt...He did it for me for sure. :)
The other person I mentioned is a neighbor (my age) who recently had a heart stent placed and was told she has a 100% block in her abdominal aorta. She has enough circulation going through secondary vessels that they aren't scheduling surgery yet. She is scared, afraid she will die, can't sleep, fears going out alone, etc. She called me last night in tears. I told her when I had bouts of heart issues several years ago (and a DVT with pregnancy) I also went through anxiety/fear. I , too, refused to sleep. I just KNEW if I closed my eyes, I would die in my sleep and I had two children to tend to!
God finally got through to my feeble brain and said, "Give your cares to Me, my child. Let ME take the fear, the worry, the sleepness nights and conform them to My ways." Peace ensued.
I am His. He is mine. My days are His days.....and He will help me with whatever comes my way.
It was a control thing. Something I had to give up. Staying awake somehow made me feel in control of this! Not so. That's what I told my friend. Give it up. Give it to the One who can handle your every need. Rest. Sleep. Peacefully. Knowing He is holding your every day in complete control. She asked me to find her some scriptures to read, so I am. I also told her I'd write a prayer she can say at night to help her relax and fall asleep....she has good doctors in her court, and a great big God coaching them. Rest assured. There's not a better place to be.
I told her that each day will bring increased confidence. I experienced that myself. The longer I went without a visit to the ER for irregular heart rate/rhythms, the more confident I became in going and doing. I remember going through the fear of driving long distances that might get me away from a quick jaunt to the ER if I needed it! There was assurance knowing they were "right there" if I needed them. Medications finally controlled the heart, and I've gone on two 10 day international mission trips to the remote village in Belize....in a third world country where you aren't certain of the health practices in their small medical facilities. Plus, a week long stay in an isolated Sioux Reservation where white men weren't allowed to visit their new ER/hospital. Treatment for me would have been nearly 2 hours away. Not to say I don't THINK about it because I do! But I don't worry like I used to do. I still pray through those times....
Life situations can cause us to experience great fear/anxiety at times. That's normal. It's how we deal with it that's important. What you may be experiencing is a temporary feeling/response. If you are asking "how will I get through this" maybe you too need to pray through it. Prayer is a powerful thing! God waits. God listens. God knows....and He wants to comfort and ease your struggles.
Lucy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very powerful post - you offer very good advice. I remember when my mom died, too, also 11 years ago. It was the hardest thing (to date) that I've had to deal with and it was simply the grace of God that got me through it.
Thanks for the reminder!
God bless :)